Monday, October 24, 2011
Damn it! Wouldn't you know it? I had taken my night time meds, turned out the lights and proceeded to try to sleep. I kept having these flashes in my mind about a blog post.
So I turn on the lights, fumble around for my glasses, grab up the Mac and begin to type. But here's the catch. I can't freaking remember what I was going to write about, but it was great. It was probably one of the most amazing posts EVER typed by human hands, or maybe it was an hallucination from the ambien. I choose to believe the former.
But it's vanished. So I think what I'll do is write about a couple things a bit taboo, things you should never (business 101) discuss in business relationships or casual company. Politics and religion.
Oh freaking great! I heard people click out already and I've not even posted yet. Bunch of freaking cowards!
There are a couple of things that get me on these topics.
- First, I have my opinions, very strong opinions, and they're not likely to change. You have yours. There's nothing written in stone that says that your opinions trump mine or that mine trump yours. N.O.T.H.I.N.G. (although deep down inside you know I'm right) Come on people, that was a pun! You know you want to laugh.
- I'm not going to try to persuade you to "come to the other side." That's not my place. And it's not your place to persuade me to come to your side. But what we can do is have civil discussions about our differences and you know what? They may end up looking a lot alike. It's ok, you CAN talk to the "other side," you CAN be friends and disagree. Oh, I can tell you why I think you're wrong, and you can tell me why you think I'm wrong and after go out for pizza and beer. IT'S OK!
- I get tired of all of the "oh God, she's a republican business owner AND she owns guns! She must be an intolerant, unaccepting, environment hating, homophobe, asshole. Wrong. On. All. Counts. Ok, so sometimes I like to piss off liberals, I admit it.
- I love the country I live in and who in the hell thinks Republicans don't want clean water and air for our children and grand children? If you do think that then you need to stop drinkin' the kool aid.
- I love my gay cousin, nephew and friends and want them to experience every joy I have.
- It's not for me to pass judgement.
- I think government should have very little to do with our lives, that we, as a people are smart enough to take care of ourselves.
necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the
industrious." --Thomas Jefferson
- I'm also for legalizing prostitution and illegal drugs. Tax them, regulate them. Come on, you know they're never going away, might as well not let them control us. We should control them.
- Not only can we gain revenue from the activities, it could stop a myriad of other problems. If you want to shoot up all day, not my concern but don't ask me to pay for your healthcare if you choose to do so.
- People kill themselves with alcohol and cigarettes every day. What in the hell is a pot smoker gonna do? Usually not get behind the wheel of a car after several drinks and kill someone. Probably more likely to sit on the couch and murder a bag of potato chips.
- Now on to abortion. Do I think abortion is murder? Yes, I do. However, it's my belief that those babies go right back to the God that created them. It's not my place to be judgemental, especially when I was one of "those" girls. Basic facts on that are: 16, date rape, parental demand. It's left a life long scar and lot's of sorrow to deal with.
- I also have a hard time with a little word that does a lot of harm called "religion." You see, religion is not faith in God, it's a belief system. In religion you can worship anything you want: money, trees, the Earth, yourself, hell, bow down to a box of Count Chocula....that's all religion, as is atheism. "Religion" is a personal set or institutionalized system of attitudes, beliefs, and practices.
- Usually Christians use that term to mean people that are bound by the legalities of their denomination, their church, or their pastor. Religion, in my belief, is anything that interferes with a relationship of faith. Religion can be cult like with members having to "ask permission" to do certain things, having to answer to the elders that be or face damnation. Religion will destroy any ounce of faith that you may have.
- People, stop putting each other in these neat little boxes. We just don't fit.
- And please, don't call me liberal in order to piss me off. I'm just Teri